IMO IMO IMO IMO

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Eternal Children

Just watched a documentary on YouTube about the sort of freak folk movement... specifically, it interviews and follows Antony (of Antony and the Johnsons), CoCoRosie, Devendra Banhart, and Vashti Bunyan (considered the Matriarch of the "freak folk" movement). I have to say it seemed to clarify a lot of everyone - both the people and their music. It gave an emotional floor to Devendra and Antony that I had previously not known. Music from both of them, in particular, has found no place to sit in me, but I find myself now very much in tune with Antony and eager to hear more of his music.

As for the documentary itself, it's subtle and largely passive. I didn't feel as though anyone was digging around trying to find something except during a couple of the interviews. For the most part, it just felt like I was watching things unfold from a single vantage point. At times I wanted to stop watching, others I wanted to press forward. It is neither good nor bad. It just seems to "be." Let me know what you think. Below, all six parts of "The Eternal Children" by David Kleijwegt:


















Labels: , ,