IMO IMO IMO IMO

Monday, April 21, 2008

New UNIQLO Line/Campaign




Wandering the streets of this fair city today, I discovered a very fun new campaign for UNIQLO.

In honor of the arrival of spring, UNIQLO has released its new UT (UNIQLO T-shirt) line featuring work by well-known artists, photographers, etc. What caught my eye about the campaign were the photos of Chloe Sevigny. I had to do a double take to make sure it was her, but it certainly is. While some of the photos simply splotlight the attractive models, many are pretty funny in their absurdity; Sevigny's and her partner in crime Tadanobu Asano's poses and expressions are often hilarious or awkward, all wrapped up in the always-taken-with-a-grain-of-salt style of fashion photography. And they all pop nicely against the plain grey gradient backdrop.

The photographs themselves are taken by Dan Jackson (not to be confused with one of my favorite contemporary painters, Daniel Jackson). I went to his site, and I have to say from what little I've seen, I think his work is terrible. It's uninteresting, kitschy, and seems largely unconcerned with any kind of intelligent discourse. But, he's obviously done something right to land the UNIQLO campaign, and I like what he did with it, so I guess that says something.

All in all, I'm psyched about this campaign. I love UNIQLO, I think the photos are fun, and it's great exposure for Asano, as well as Sevigny, who has proven time and again the versatility of her look and her capabilities as an actress and as a model.

Labels: , ,