IMO IMO IMO IMO

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mad Men

AMC ventured into the realm of Original TV Dramas tonight at 10pm Eastern Standard Time to the shock of many. By a stroke of luck I stumbled upon the trailer for the show (well, no stroke of luck, really... just diligent watching of bigscreenlittlescreen.com) this evening in time to catch the premiere.

I have to say, I really liked what I saw. It has the swilly glean of 50's American life with more of the blemishes of what was really going on underneath. While I find that the sexism is overplayed, I find that most of the main characters are tantalizingly underplayed... their intricacies lie beneath the surface. Like the proverbial iceberg bobbing in the sea, the male lead is a white obelisk with a great deal of muck underneath the facade. He is startling, handsome, unctuous in a manner that is not off-putting or vile, and his vulnerability is evident. He is, In My Opinion, a stellar character with lots of dimension. He is the exact opposite of just about every character on HBO's John From Cincinatti, which gets him (and AMC) an A+ in my book.

For more information, check out AMCTV.com

Labels: